You and your dog deserve Rod and Kate's fabulous walks.  

Call us: 0431 414 323

  • 12 Human Foods You Didn't Know Could Kill Your Dog.

    4 May at 21:23 from atlas


    Chocolate is one of the most common foods that is bad for dogs, so we figured we'd knock it off the list early. Dog owners know better than to leave a Toblerone or two laying around.

    What's In It:

    Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine which fall under the methylxanthines category. When we hear the phrase "the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous," it's because white chocolates contain fewer methylxanthines. Thus, less toxicity.

    What It Can Do:

    If eaten by a dog, chocolate can cause vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, severe agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures and death.


    Yeah we know, puppies drink milk from their mothers after they're born. However, like humans  (including moi), dogs can also suffer from lactose intolerance.

    What's In It:

    Milk contains milk sugar that dogs don't have the enzymes to break down.

    What It Can Do:

    Consumption of milk could lead to vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems. While it's not immediately life-threatening, it can contribute to serious bacterial exposure in dogs that could eventually lead to disease.


    Sorry boy, no Grilled Cheese Spot for you. Your stomach will thank me for it later.

    What's In It:

    Like milk, cheese also has sugars and fatty components that dogs don't have the necessary enzymes to break down.

    What It Can Do:

    Cheese, and other dairy products, can cause problems if consumed in excess. Symptoms like gas, diarrhea and vomiting can all occur if a dog eats too much cheese.



    While onions go with pretty much anything savory, they can do more than just make your dog cry.

    What's In It:

    Onions contain compounds that can be harmful to dogs if ingested enough.

    What It Can Do:

    Onions can damage red blood cells in dogs causing them to become weaker and move around less. If enough onions are consumed, a blood transfusion might be necessary.



    One of the more recent discoveries, Macadamia Nuts can be incredibly harmful to dogs if eaten.

    What's In It:

    The specific chemicals found in macadamias are still unknown right now, but they are known to cause a toxic reaction to dogs if ingested.

    What It Can Do:

    Dogs will develop weakness and an inability to walk, specifically in their hind legs. Vomiting, staggering gait, depression, tremors and hypothermia.



    Consider your dogs vampires and keep them away from raw garlic as much as possible.

    What's In It:

    Like the chocolate rule, the stronger the onion the more toxic it can be. Since garlic is part of the onion family it's even more dangerous to dogs than onions per ounce. Garlic contains compounds that are strong in toxicity.

    What It Can Do:

    While the effect of garlic consumption to red blood cells won't appear for a few days in dogs, they'll be tired and reluctant to move. The dog's urine will be orange to dark red in color. Like with onions, a blood transfusion might be required in severe cases.



    Like Macadamia Nuts, grapes and raisins can be extremely toxic to dogs.

    What's In It:

    While its currently unknown what chemicals and compounds are in grapes that cause toxicity to dogs, the results of consumption can be pretty devastating.

    What It Can Do:

    Grapes and raisins can cause rapid kidney failure. While it varies between dogs, symptoms may not show up in them. Other than kidney failure, dogs can also develop vomiting or diarrhea as well as a lethargic state. Dogs will also develop dehydration and lack of appetite. Death from kidney failure may occur within three to four days.





    You might want to hold off sharing that guaca with your doggy. He'll thank you for it later.

    What's In It:

    Avocado leaves, pips, bark and fruit contain a toxin called persin.

    What It Can Do:

    Avocados can have toxic effects on dogs depending on the variety. They can cause upset stomachs in dogs, breathing difficulties, fluid build-up in the chest, but the most dangerous thing for them seem to the be the pip. Since it's slippery, the pip can accidentally be swallowed by dogs.  This can lead to obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract.






    While most people try to avoid eating the core of an apple, it's actually much more toxic to dogs. Along with a few other fruits, you should definitely be careful not to leave apple cores laying around for dogs to get their paws on.

    What's In It:

    The core of an apple (as well as plums, peaches, pears and apricots) contain cyanogenic glycosides which is also known as cyanide.

    What It Can Do:

    Some of the symptoms that come from ingesting the toxin are dizziness, struggling to breath, seizures, collapsing, hyperventilation, shock and even coma.

    Article by Peter Pham  Food  May 16 2014.


Contact information

Mobile 0431 414 323
Send an Email Get vCard
Opening hours


Call now for Weekends and Public Holidays option.